Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Monday - We head for home, with thoughts of reflection.

It's such a happy sad day as we realize that our mission has come to an end and we are all deep in thought about the days as they unfolded? Was it enough? Will anything change for the better? Here are some team thoughts as we reflect on this experience. Sharon


BETTY:
Haiti is a country that each time you visit it steals a little bit of your heart. They are such an amazing people that have such a hard life. I’m so grateful for the country that I live in and pray that I will not take for granted the small things that make my life so easy. CLEAN water, power, flush toilets, hot showers, garbage pickup, safety in my home, good healthcare and so many other things we don’t even think about. It’s sad that I need Haiti to remind me of my many blessings and I pray that things will change for Haiti and their wonderful people. God bless them all.    Betty


This is Grace who hauled all our water.. No wonder she is short!
LYNNISE
Each year I have a harder time leaving Haiti. This year was exceptionally hard. I have fallen in love with the country, its people and the simplistic life. As a missionary to serve, I receive the utmost satisfaction in the work and the people that have crossed my path. Our EMCC team leader, Marilyn McIlroy, an RN from Ontario exemplifies the definition of a true missionary nurse having lived in Haiti for 11 years, nursed in Ecuador and Tanzania. Marilyn’s love for the Haitian culture, people and deep desire to make a change no matter how little made a huge impression on me. I see myself in her in so many ways – she especially loves to talk! Marilyn loves to teach and tell stories and therefore we all learn. I have truly been blessed to have seen Haiti through Marilyn’s eyes this trip. I almost did not make this trip but God blessed me immensely knowing I could make a difference and to meet Marilyn was in the plans. I know there is a plan for me! I thank God for all the support and love I have from my daughters, family and friends. Thank you. God bless.
Kerlande RN wanted to keep all the notes from the lessons Lynnise gave her.
This house is For Sale and its close to the clinic!

Lynnise and Marilyn beside the guest house
ELVA: 
Every time I visit Haiti, it steals a little more of my heart. As I observe the role of a Haitian mom, her tasks are beyond what I can imagine. Families are large and often the husband works away from the home. Looking after many children without conveniences I have so taken for granted - like water on taps and electricity. I appreciate more, all we have in Canada yet am challenged to become more of what is a  ‘need’ and what is an ‘extra’ that ultimately can be burdensome. I am so thankful to my family for their support when I am gone to Haiti. I thank God for what He teaches me through these experiences.  Elva
Relationships form very quickly. The Haitians are warm and friendly.
MIKE:
Well, I am home again from my second trip to Haiti and am happily sitting in bed (without anyone climbing mountains close by) reliving the past 12 days and picking out moments that stand out. I'm not one to push much out of my comfort zone so it is safe to say I was very much out of that zone as soon as we landed in Port au Prince to the moment we landed back in Toronto. That's not to say I didn't enjoy myself. This team of people is the most compassionate and patient I have ever met. True servants. Not once did I see frustration or hear unkind words. I did however hear lots of words, especially from the ladies bedroom after the lights went out. I'm a big new fan of earplugs. In truth more to shutout the sound of the rooster at 4:30am, (obviously the time change hadn't kicked in). I would also be remiss if I didn't mention how much I missed Dave and Monique on this trip and I thought of them often.

Haiti's capital city is not my favorite place (I'm a country boy) the congestion, pollution, crazy driving, 24hr honking, armed guards everywhere and the ever present smell of smoke. A little unnerving although I always felt in good hands.

When we arrived into the country side and back roads, at least I think they were roads, I was feeling more at home. I am still overwhelmed with the level of happiness of the locals even while struggling to maintain the mere necessities of life. 

 
Roadway we walk to the clinic - new sights everyday.
Guesthouse property watching the 'blancs"
Everyday we had to walk by this little shop

My fondest memories were of walking to the clinic and chatting with the children along the way. It was a real pleasure to have people look you in the eye and say "Bonjour" or "Bonsoir" and not ignore you or be too busy looking at their handheld device. "What is your name" I heard a lot, I would reply "Michelle" then I would hear my name called out by the kids, I loved hearing them call my name. 

Over the course of the week more kids would remember my name, I think my hat stood out and was quite recognizable. Chatting with the locals without our interpreter was like playing charades and it was a lot of fun. Listening to Martin speak very loud and slowly like they were all deaf. And then listening to the quick response "Oui" even though there was no clue as to what we had said. Watching the kids play marbles in the road or making them laugh as Martin and I skipped along with them. 
 
Little boys.....will play....marbles

The day we built the picnic table we must have had 20 - 25 kids gathered around watching. Although this was half of the audience we had when repairing the generator! 

Obvious great artistic ability with this young boy.
I'm confidant that all of us had moments of sacrifice but non equaled my wife's when she hopped into the 6 seater Cessna knowing within seconds she would be green and likely being sick. To all of our excitement she made it up and down while only losing all colour in her face and about a pound of sweat.

I am already missing the coffee of Haiti, pure gold.

Marilyn was a true blessing with her knowledge of Haitian culture and I feel we all have a better grasp of what we can do to help and not hurt Haiti. Figuring out how to work along side the community and not just deliver what we think they need.

Graces smile even when carrying a 50lb pail of water on top of her head will never be forgotten.

I will be introducing my Chiropractor to a new technique that was used on me while in Haiti by a husband and wife duo that still has my back in solid shape.

Watching Uncle Martin toil and ponder over what would be a simple repair at home with proper tools or a trip to Home Depot to eventually come up with a perfect solution was awesome. I would quickly ascertain it was unrepairable and was proven wrong many times.

My final thought and hope is my quick recovery after the diagnosis from an expert in the medical field of Uncle Martinitus. I don't exactly remember the procedure, not sure if I was anesthetized or if I passed out from the sound of another snapping rubber glove but the removal seems to have been successful.

I could go on and on but to sum it up I loved the simple things and pure hearts. 

Love this team with all my heart.
Mike

ELMA:
Magical moment occurs while we were nestling in for the night lying in our beds, under the mosquito nets, after a day of seeing pain and poverty, suddenly the room start filling with fireflies...just floating through the room in the darkness..lingering between the beds...floating all around us..the utmost beauty that took our breaths away.....reminds me of John 8:12....Jesus said "I am the Light of the world"....good bye Haiti!   Elma

Nurse Kerlande, Elma and translator Felipe
TERESA:
I naively thought that after 2 trips to Haiti I would know what to expect - how humbled I was as this trip proved to me over and over again that I knew very little.  Time and time again I was shown new perspectives on life in Haiti and life in general.  It was like light reflecting through a prism - constantly changing the view.  My head is filled with new thoughts, things to consider, questions and perspectives.  Just when I thought I was starting to figure life out I see that I need to open my eyes and mind, that there is even more width and depth to life and much more I can learn about.  The constant is that as with previous trips I went to Haiti to give but instead I received. 


 I feel truly blessed by the opportunity to be a part of this mission.  And I truly love my Haiti family.  Thank you to all who made this experience possible; my family and friends, the JB Print team, those who supported financially and with supplies.  I am truly grateful.


MARTIN:
We've had a few days to reflect on the time in Haiti this year. Airlines, ground crew and rough roads caused several pieces of equipment to be damaged and I found it rewarding to be able to repair everything and make it work. It was satisying to see the happiness and smiles on the people's faces when they realized they would have more equipment that they could use to help their community. 
It was hard to watch young children, either naked or sparsely clothed, playing together or just sitting watching our every move and thrilled when we took the time to pay attention to them. This 15 sec video was men making 2x4" along the road on the way to the clinic.




Skilled craftsmen working with basic hand tools making beautiful coffins.

All in all it was a good experience and humbling to again realize the vast difference in the way we live. Martin



SHARON:
I don’t think I will ever get used to the emotional roller coaster I feel each time I return from Haiti after a medical mission. I am frequently asked “is Haiti getting back on their feet after the earthquake?” How do you answer that? Were they ever “on their feet?”

This time we were in northern Haiti, which was unaffected by the earthquake although cholera took a toll.  The poverty and lack of opportunities for the children and young people is heartbreaking. Haiti so needs leadership from top to bottom and I believe our efforts must be to come along side teaching them what they need to know to improve their lives. We must consider what help they need and not do the things that make us feel good.




No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTRUCTIONS TO LEAVE A COMMENT!

Click dropdown box by "comment as":then choose Name/URL and fill your name in but leave the URL blank! For whatever reason you can not comment from a cell phone!